Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Session #29 - Will Travel For Beer

Hi All,

Welcome to my post for this months session. This months topic "Will Travel For Beer" is hosted by the folks over at Beer by Bart. This months topic is very easy for me. Normally I have to really think about what I am going to write but not this time.

The hosts what to know:
"If you see the words “travel” and “beer” and instead of your best tourist sagas you think of work or logistics, we want to know your tips and strategies on the road. (Perhaps for getting prized bottles home.)"

I happen to feel I am very knowledgeable in this area. There are very few trips where I don't hit at least one local brewery/brewpub, beer bar or local beer store. The first thing I do when going on a trip for either business or pleasure is visit beermapping.com. This is one of my favorite beer sites. You enter a city or address and it will show all the beer based locations around. You also have the option of picking a regional map of all the breweries and brewpubs in the region. I also use the mobile version of beermapping.com when I get to a location. It makes it very easy to get the address of the beer location and directions to it.

So once you get to the destination and fall for a beer how do you get it home. I have 2 options for you. One is pack it in your suit case and 2 which is send yourself some yeast samples just don't use the USPS. If you pack it in your suit case make sure your wrap it really well in your clothes and put it in a large freezer bag just in case. I have brought beer home from all over the country and even from Europe with this method and have never had an issue.

So now that I have got you there and got you home. Here are some suggestions of place you should go so that you can bring great beer back. First my favorite beer trip to date is Portland, Oregon. There are many great breweries and brewpubs all over Portland. Second San Diego and the Bay Area are 2 great beer destinations on opposite sides of state that know there beer. Finally I would say hit any place you are going to be. There is great beer all over this great country and world. Get out, travel and try it!!

Thanks again to Gail and Steve at Beer By Bart for hosting this month. I am looking forward to reading all the other tips out there. Anything I can do to try great beer and get home safely I want to know!

See you next month,

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: