Friday, June 26, 2009

June Fermentation Friday - Summertime Brewing

Hi All,

Welcome to this months Fermentation Friday hosted by The Brew Dudes. This months topic is summertime brewing. The host asks the question "How do you beat the heat when brewing?" I personally don't feel it is that much different.

I live in Bakersfield,CA where it gets really hot during the summer. The temps are consistently in the high 90's/low 100's. Until a few weeks ago I brewed indoors on a gas stove. I would put my pot over 2 burners and I would go to town. The boil was kind of slow but it did its job. When brewing indoors it doesn't matter if its 50 or if its a 100. The only issue is the amount of time it takes to cool the wort with the wort chiller. When its 50 in the winter I can chill 5 gallons to under 80 degrees in 15 minutes in the summer when its a 100 it takes about 30. I would prefer it be quicker but it isn't too bad. I am thinking about adding in a small chiller in a sink full of ice water but haven't got around to that yet.

A few weeks ago I did my first all grain and garage brew. It wasn't quite a hundred but it was in the high 80's. The worst part of summer brewing was being in the garage when it's hot. The flame from the burner and heat from the air gave me a nice sweaty gleam all day. Other then that everything went well and the only minor issue was the 30 minute wort chill time.

I am really interested in seeing the effect of the summer season on other brewers because it doesn't really effect me much. Maybe I can learn what I should be worried about. Thanks again to the brew dudes for hosting!!

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: