Sunday, June 14, 2009

Food Pairing - German Chocolate Cake and Sam Adams Imperial Stout

Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of reading on food and beer pairing and when my wife said I want German Chocolate Cake I was like I should find a beer to have with this. So I went to the net and I went to She said Wine/He said Beer and both said an Imperial Stout would work well with chocolate cake. The only one I had in the house was the Sam Adams Imperial Stout from their imperial series. So here goes the pairing.

First I took a bite of the cake and it was chocolaty sweet with coconut and pecans. This is just like a german chocolate cake should be.

Second I took a wiff and taste of the Imperial Stout. It was nice and creamy with hints of chocolate, coffee, and roastyness.

Finally I took a bite of the cake and drink of the stout and it went together perfectly. The chocolate in the cake enhanced the chocolate notes in the stout. The coffee notes in the stout worked really well with the chocolate in the cake and the nuts and coconut in the frosting. I think this was a very good pair.

After trying this pair I think I may have to pick up an Old Rasputin stout on the way home from work tomorrow. In my opinion it is a better imperial stout then the Sam Adams. That beer and this cake would be and even better pair.

Let me know what you think of this possible new series. I have never written about pairings before so if any one has any suggestions feel free to let me know.

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

1 comment:

Marshall said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Food Pairing - German Chocolate Cake" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info