Thursday, June 4, 2009

Beer Review #38 - Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu

Hi All,

A friend of mine helped me build my mash tun today so it looks like I will try my hand at AG brewing this weekend. I am totally inept at building things so his help was vital to my completing this project. So to celebrate I popped open a Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu. Which according to the bottle is a malt beverage brewed with honey & hawthorn fruit and fermented with grape concentrate. So on with the review!

Pour - The DFH Chateau Jiahu pours a hazy golden color with a small head that lasts.

Aroma - The DFH Chateau Jiahu has a nice malty scent with hints of honey and hawthorne fruit(just kidding I don't know what hawthorne fruit is). I do get some hints of grapes and citrus.

Taste - The DFH Chateau Jiahu has a nice light fruity taste. I get hits of honey and grape. There are also hints of warming alcohol in the taste.

Mouthfeel - The DFH Chateau Jiahu has a nice full mouthfeel with a low to moderate carbonation level. The beer leaves a light syrupy coating feeling in the month.

Drinkabilty - The DFH Chateau Jiahu is very drinkable. At 8% abv the beer goes down very smoothly.

I don't remember where I picked this up but I am very glad I did. I really enjoy trying unique and interesting beers and if I can find them I will try them. I bet not many people will get to try a 9000 year old recipe. Does anyone out there know anything really unique that I should try. Send me a comment!

No comments: