Sunday, May 31, 2009

Beer Review # 37 - Ommegang Abbey Ale

Hi All,

Welcome to my 3rd of 4 reviews of the Brewery Ommegang variety pack my mom got me a few months ago. Abbey Ale is a Belgian Style Dubbel. This has been one of styles I have had a lot of lately so lets see how this goes.

Pour - The Abbey Ale pours a beautiful dark amber with a nice off white head. The head leaves a nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma - The Abbey Ale has a nice malty scent with hints of cloves and spice. I also get a little licorice in the nose.

Taste - The Abbey Ale has a nice malty and spicy flavor. The taste also mimics the aroma. I get hits of plum, cinnimon, licorice, and caramel.

Mouthfeel - The Abbey Ale has a nice full mouthfeel with great carbonation. There is very good coating of the month.

Drinkabilty - The Abbey Ale is very drinkable. At 8.5%abv you can have 2 glasses and just chill away.

I am still not sure about the Belgian Dubble. I prefer trippels and saisons but I will continue to try them. I also like that it comes from my home state of NY. I haven't been back there in a few years but I am really glad they are making some good beers. Maybe someday they will get out to CA.

See you next time,
GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: