Friday, May 1, 2009

Beer Review # 31 - Mendocino Winter Seasonal Imperial IPA

Hi All,

Day 2 with the baby has gone very well. I picked her up, gave her a bath, set up her room for bed time, then fed her. She fell asleep almost instantly. Today beer is a relaxing end of the week beer. Yesterdays was the my baby is driving me crazy beer. I much prefer this type of beer. On to the review.

Appearance - The MBC IIPA pours a slightly hazy golden color. The head doesn't last but there is some lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma - The MBC IIPA's aroma isn't is full of hops and malt. The hops are citrusy, piney, and floral. The malt sweetness nicely balances the hops.

Taste - This is always my favorite part of the review experience. The MBC IIPA doesn't taste like I was expecting. There is a lot of hop bitterness but not a lot of hop flavor. They must have used a lot of bittering hops to balance the malt backback bone and a lot of aroma hops to give it its great aroma. Its very good but maybe a little more flavor hops next season.

Mouthfeel - The MBC IIPA is a really full bodied beer. There is good carbonation that helps carry the bitterness to all parts of the month.

Drinkability - The MBC IIPA is very drinkable at 7.5% ABV. I really enjoy the bitterness of the beer but I think it can be even better if there were more flavor hops added.

I love going to a store with a good beer selection and going through the seasonals. Many breweries bring out some of there best stuff during specific seasons. So if you like a brewery's normal selection see if they have seasonals you probably won't be disappointed.


See you next time,
GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: