Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Session #26 - Smoke'em if you got 'em

Hi All,


Welcome to my post for this months the session. Thanks to Lew @ Seen Through a Glass for hosting this month. I have to admit that I am not all that knowledgeable about smoked beers but I have had the Alaskan Smoked Porter the that last few years so that is what I am going to write about and that is what I am going to review. After work I went out with a buddy and had the 2008 release and let me tell you it is really nice. You will have to read my review here (Saturday sometime) to read a more in depth look into the Alaskan Smoked Porter. I am going to try and keep this strictly about my opinion of smoked beers.

Smoked beers what to say about them. Well first of all most of the smoked beer I have seen available and have tried have been stouts and porters. This is not my favorite style of beer as I am more of a hop head. I am starting to expand my horizons in this area but taste buds change slowly. I bet you are asking where am I going with this. Well let me tell you adding smoke to a beer you are trying to get in to doesn't always help. For some beers like the Alaskan Smoked Porter the really light smokiness really compliments the porter. In many of the other smoked beers I have tried the smoke was way overpowering and added a different type of bitterness that wasn't pleasing to my pallet.

Second I am really not sure why you would want to smoke a beer. I understand that smoke is a flavoring in many things like BBQ, whiskey, and cigars (sorry couldn't think of anything else) but why beer. I am all for creativity but smoke. There are very few things that smoke is good for and in my opinion most of the time beer isn't one of them. I think, if done improperly, it hides the taste of all the other ingredients that make beer beer.

Like I stated before I don't have a lot of experience with this "ingredient" but that's what I think. I will keep trying them as I see them and maybe one of them will change my overall opinion of the style. I will never say stop smoking so like Lew said Smoke'em if you Got'em.

Thanks again for hosting Lew this was a fun topic and its always good to bust open the Alaskan Smoked Porter.

No comments: