Saturday, April 18, 2009

Beer Review #27 - New Belgium Frambozen Raspberry Brown

Hi All,

Wow looks like I am behind again on my goal to review 104 (2 beers a week) beers. I should be on 32 right now but as you can see I am only on 27. I can probably get up to 29 this weekend but we will see there is a lot of time left this year to make it happen.

Appearance - The appearance of the Frambozen is a beautiful dark red almost burgundy. There is a nice head that lasts and leaves a nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma - The aroma of the Frambozen is very raspberry forward. With a good sniff you can get the nutty/toasty malt aroma normally associated with a brown ale.

Taste - The Frambozen tastes a lot like a blend of a lambic and a brown ale. There is a nice sour raspberry flavor mixed with the brown ale characteristics of light toast and chocolate.

Mouthfeel - This beer has a decent mouthfeel. Its always hard for me to describe mouthfeel. The sourness of the raspberry coats the the mouth but its not a syrupy as a Lambic. The brown ale thins the mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This beer is very drinkable but I think there maybe a little too much raspberry. I think the beer may have been better served being a brown ale with hints of raspberry rather then a raspberry beer with brown ale characteristics.

I listened to a basic brewing radio podcast a while back where one of the brewers at New Belgium discussed the style of their beers. Well in their case the lack there of and I think that is great. Most of their beers have distinct belgian characteristics but its there own and that is the key in great craft brews.

See you next time!!

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: