Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Session #25 Lager Love / Beer Review 16 - Coney Island Lager

Hi All,

Welcome to this months The Session hosted by The Beer Nut. This months topic is lager love. I have to admit I am not an expert of the lager unless of course you count the mass quantities of the yellow fizzy stuff in college and the PBR I (am forced to) drink on my monday Hash House Harriers drinking club with a running problem. I am not a big bock, double bock, dunkel drinker but I do enjoy the occational Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, and various Oktoberfests but overall I am an ale lover.

I don't know what it is about the lager that has kept itself out as a major part of my adventures in beer. Maybe its the yellow fizzy tasteless beer that dominates the american college and bar scene. For the longest time Bud, Coors, and Miller took over the displays in supermarkets, convenient stores, and gas stations. That's all I could picture for a while when someone said lager. I know better know but the ora still stands. Don't get my wrong I do try many different lagers but unless the bottle catches my eye, I normally don't go out and say I am going to get a lager today.

Until this topic I never really though much about lagers but I guess when it comes down to it lagers have given me a lot of good memories. In college the light lager brings back the memory of great keggers and parties. The greatest trip I have ever taken was Europe and part of that trip included Munich and Berlin, Germany. I am pretty sure most would agree the germans know their lagers. Almost all the weddings I went to in my mid to late 20's the best beer available was Sam Adams and we always had a blast. When I moved to Cali a few years ago I met many of my friends at the hash runs and if it doesn't come in a 30 pack or greater they look down upon it. So as you can see lagers have given me some great memories.

For this session I have chosen to drink Coney Island Lager. Coney Island Lager is brewed by Shmaltz Brewing Company a small craft brewer in New York. I may be kind of breaking the rules going with a craft lager but it does say lager and it does have a cool label.

Appearance - This beer pours a beautiful clear amber with a nice long lasting lacing head.

Aroma - This beer has a nice crisp aroma with hints of citrus and grass. I can also get very light caramel notes.

Taste - The taste of this beer matches the aroma. Very crisp with good bitterness.

Mouthfeel - This beer has very good mouthfeel. I love a beer that coats your mouth and lets the bitterness and flavors hit all parts of your mouth.

Drinkability - This is a very drinkable beer and at 5.5% a 22oz was the perfect size.

I would again like to thank The Beer Nut for hosting this months session. I think that by doing this topic I will have to try and experience more lagers. There is a whole nother branch of the beer tree out there and if I am going to concider myself a truly knowlegable about beer I am going to have to have to get more experience in the lager word.

1 comment:

Zak said...

Hi there. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Company. Thanks for reviewing Coney Island Lager. Really glad you enjoyed it. We've got 3 more that are currently available (Albino Python, Sword Swallower, and Human Blockhead). They're pretty freaky and experimental, but very delicious. Definitely check one out if you come across it. Thanks again. Cheers!