Friday, March 27, 2009

Fermentation Friday - Embrace Your Spring

Hi All,

Welcome to this months Fermentation Friday hosted by Byron @ HomeBrewBeer.net. When I first heard the topic embrace your spring I thought what am I going to write. Well I decided to write on why I can't write about this topic. First of all I don't brew a particular beer based on a season. I brew what I feel. I also brew based on when I want something ready. For example I brewed an english style barleywine that I want to age at least 6-8 months and i want it ready around Thanksgiving so I brewed it in Feb. I really don't know what to say about this.

The only think I can say about spring brewing is I think my next few brews will be really low under 4% ABV beers for the warmer months. Its not because of the season but because I want lighter crisper beers to refresh and cool down. Beers like wheats, kolsch, pale ales all go down nice and smooth as the cool and refresh you. Downing an imperial stout or a barleywine won't hit the spot like that. Last night it was about 65 degrees and I had Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale and it was really nice but it didn't really hit the spot. It was too big. It wasn't what I needed at the time. A good "spring" beer would have worked alot better.

I don't know if I answered the question or not but thats how I feel about spring and brewing. Thanks again to Byron for hosting this month. I am looking forward to see how everyone else writes about spring because I know I sure can't.