Saturday, March 14, 2009

Beer Review #19 - Brewery Ommegang Three Philosophers

Hi all,

Here is the 2nd of 4 Brewery Ommegang beers I will be reviewing. I am really excited about trying this beer. It is a Blended beer that is part Belgian Quadruple and Belgian Kriek. I have tasted a small sample at the GABF but its hard to get the true essence of a beer with a small sample and its even harder when you had 20 other small samples. So basically I am concidering this my first taste of the Three Philosophers.

Appearance - This beer pours a beautiful dark amber with a great foaming head that laces the side of the glass.

Aroma - The predominant aroma in the philosopher is most definatly cherry. The sour cherry in the aroma makes holding off on the taste very difficult.

Taste - This beer is very malt forward. Based on the aroma I was thinking there would be more of a cherry profile but the cherry sort of lingers in the background. The overall taste reminds me a lot of a barleywine.

Mouthfeel - For such a big beer this beer has a very light mouthfeel. It goes down nice and smooth with a nice warming feel.

Drinkability - This beer is very drinkable in moderation. I am not sure if most people consider Belgian Quadruples as winter beers but I could so see drinking this in a nice goblet type glass sitting by the fire with the old lady or some friends just chilling.

Until recently most of my beer expereince has been in American micro's and some German beers but over the last few month I have had the opertunity to try many Belgian and Belgian style beers and they are really starting to grow on me. So far I think I am leaning towards the triple as my favorite style but belgian blends such as this may finish a close second.

See you next time!!

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: