Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Beer Review #8 - HE'BREW GENESIS ALE

Hi all,

The beer I am reviewing today is HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer" Genesis Ale from Shmaltz Brewing Company in Saratoga Springs, NY. This beer is certified Kosher. I do think I broke the rules anyway as I drank while eating a bacon wrapped meatloaf. Good think I didn't add cheddar.

Appearance -This beer pours a dark amber/ light brown color. There was very little head and what was there dissapated quickly.

Smell - This beer smells malty with a very small hint of toastyness.

Taste - The taste of this beer like the scent is malt forward. You can taste the toasyness of the darker malts. There is good bitterness but very little hop flavor.

Mouthfeel - I feel this beer has a nice mouthfeel. There is a little more mouthfeel then an amber ale but it is less heavy then a true brown ale.

Drinkability - This beer is very drinkable I can see myself chilling and having a few of these. Its light enough that it isn't very filling but has good flavor and mouthfeel that you know you are drinking something.

I just went to the Shmaltz Brewing Company website and looked up the beer and I am not tasting all they say should be there. Crisp, smooth and perfectly balanced between a west coast style pale and amber ale, with a supple malt sweetness and a pronounced hop flourish. I can see and taste everything but the hop flourish. That may be due to the fact I love hoppy beers and my taste for super hoppyness may hide the hop profiles of some beers. I am working on that by drinking more malty beers these days.


Talk to you later!!
GISBREWMASTER

No comments: