Friday, January 30, 2009

January Fermentation Friday - Brew Year Resolutions!

Hi all,

Welcome to this months Fermentation Friday hosted by lootcorp. This months topic is about Brew Years Resolutions. I was not very excited about this topic as its the end of the month and its time to start breaking resolutions not making them. Then I thought this is about beer and home brewing and the only resolution over the last 2 years that I haven't broken is the drinking them less. Mmmmm Beer!

Well this year I have a lot of home brewing plans. The first is to brew at least 8 - 10 batches. Ideally it will be once a month but I like to make sure the I can meet my goals. I really haven't though about what I want to brew this year but. There are 4 I will definitely make. First a true full flavored session beer with an ABV under 3.5% - 4%. This will allow me to have more then one beer during the week and still make me feel like I am getting a real beer. Second I want to make an American Barleywine. I love Barleywines and that is actually the reason I wanted to get into home brewing was becasue I don't get to try many of them. I plan to brew this the first quarter of this year so that I can have it ready by late fall. Third I will be brewing a Graduation Ale for my friend Misty. As of today I am leaning towards an Apple Ale or other light friut beer. Finally I want to make a Stout or a Porter. I am leaning towards trying a Chocolate Milk Stout but I am not quite sure yet. I am also thinking about seeing if I can make this a session beer if possible. Other then that everything is up in the air in terms in what I am planning on brewing.

Other then that I am thinking about looking into all grain brewing. I don't have a huge amount of time and I am really happy with what I have brewed extract but all the talk about how much better you beer can be is very intriguing. That may or may not happen this year we will see. Also I will be attending the National Homebrewers Conference in Oakland in June. I am really looking forward to this conference. There aren't many homebrewers that I know of here in Bakersfield so I haven't had much of a chance to try home brews other then my own and at this conference I will be able to do that. It should be a blast!! Beer and learning about creating it. Doesn't get much better!!

This should be a good second year to my homebrewing hobby and my only real resolution is to keep having fun and keep learning in the best hobby I have ever had. HAPPY BREW YEAR EVERYONE!!! I am hosting next month so I hope to see all of you back!!

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Decide on your topic early and announce it ASAP so we have time to mull it over :-)

Best of luck in 2009!

~J~ said...

I would be more than happy to help you answer some questions about brewing all grain. I made the leap immediately after my first extract batch, and after doing one other extract batch I'll never go back. It adds about two hours to your brew day but the quality of beer is completely within your control. It makes all the difference in the world.
http://nolabelbeer.blogspot.com/
Santa Maria,
~Joshua~