Saturday, January 24, 2009

Beer Review # 7 - 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon Wheat

Hi all,

The beer I am reviewing today is Hell or High Watermelon Wheat form 21st Amendment in San Fransisco, CA.

Appearance -This beer pours a very light straw color with a quick disappearing head and little tiny bubbles of carbonation. If i didn't know that this was a wheat beer I would have thought it was a lager.

Smell - This beer smells light and fresh with a good amount of watermelon in the nose. Makes me think of a summer day in the middle of winter. It is 65 here so it not the wintery.

Taste - The taste of this beer is very crisp and flavorful with a good amount of watermelon flavor. I still don't get the wheat characteristics but this would be a really nice come in from the hot sun and refresh beer.

Mouthfeel - I feel this beer has a nice light mouthfeel and goes down crisps, dry and smooth. Unlike most wheat beers I have had there is no chewiness(?) from the yeast in the brew. Again I would think this was a lager rather then an ale.

Drinkability - This beer is very drinkable and at 5.5% ABV you can have a few and still feel ok afterwords.

I feel that this is one of the most interesting beers I have had to date. Who would have thunk it watermelon in beer. Also this may be a beer a person getting in to craft brews might try as a stepping stone from yellow fizzy water. It not to heave but it shows that light beers can have taste.

On a side note I wonder if they have a non-filtered version. I would like to try it with the yeastiness of yeast still in the beer. Maybe next time I get to the bay area I will head over to there brewery and find out.


Talk to you later!!
GISBREWMASTER

No comments: