Sunday, October 26, 2008

GABF Days 3 & 4

Hi All,

Welcome back to part 2 of the 2 part GABF series. Lets go out running. Day 3 started a little later then the first 2. I got to sleep until 10am. It felt really good. So I get up and I have a few hours before the 12:30 members only session and the night before one of the guys I was with mentioned cheese steak sandwiches at Pats (Market & 16th) and I thought that sounded awesome. So I walked over to pats for lunch. I ended up getting a mini cheese steak and a mini sausage, pepper and onion sandwich also. They were both very good I can never turn down the sausage sandwich. After lunch I walked over to the convention center and got into the 10 or so mile (slightly being dramatic) line and waited for the doors to open.

I got it and started sampling beers agains but alot more slowly. Most of the session I just went back and forth to the award ceremony trying to find the winners so that I could try the winning beers. I also played alot of rockband. Somehow I ended up joining a band as the basist called "flaming vagina". Luckily there was a brewery table right next to us that kept refilling our samples while we rocked out. I also spent alot of time at the Brewers Guilds. It was really cool to be able to talk to the brewers and try some of the special regional brews that the guilds brougn. I had a blast at this session. The final session of the fest the Saturday Evening session I volunteered as a pourer. I was assigned to section P and did most of my pouring at Saint Arnolds and the Rock Bottoms of Arizona. Let me tell you I was impressed with both of these breweries. I would like to hight recommend that you volunteer to work at the GABF as a pourer. You get to sample some beers and get to talk with alot of patrons. I would estimate you will be in your section for about 3 hours of the 4 hour session pouring then you get about an hour of free time to try the other beers of the fest. It is a good free way to get to experience the GABF and support a great organization like the ABA/AHA. They couldn't put on the event without the voluneers. After a second full day in a row I was spent again. I walked home picked up some taco bell on the way home and crashed. I was so tired I didn't even finish my tacos. I was out like a light.

The next morning I got up and started to pack for my flight back home. Lets just say that didn't go so well the zipper on my suitcase broke. I was only 9:30am so i had some time before the stores would open. I wanted a good breakfast so I headed over to a local fixture called Sams #3. I highly recommend this place the food is awesome, the quanties large, and the price reasonable. I happened to get the kitchen sink scramble. I can eat and I couldn't finish it. While I was there I ended up sitting next to Brandon the head brewer from Silver Peak in Reno, NV. We talked a little homebrewing and commercial brewing. The more I learn about commercial brewing the more like work it sounds. I think it would take the fun out of brewing if you did it for a living. I'll stick with the homebrewing. I like the hours. If i do ever go pro in the beer industry I think a place like Falling Rock would be the way to go. After breakfast I found a Ross bought a new suitcase, packed and went to the airport. It was a pretty uneventful end of the trip. Which I was very glad for. It was a long, tiring, but amazingly fun trip. I hope to do it again next year.

Top 5 from each session.

Saturday Afternoon:
1. Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery
2. Watermellon Wheat - 21st Amendment
3. Brother David's Double - Anderson Valley
4. Organic IPA - Hopworks Urban Brewery
5. Redemption - Russian River Brewing Co

Saturday Evening:
1. Saint Arnold Summer Pils - Saint Arnold Brewing Co
2. Wee Heavy - Alesmith
3. Big Eye IPA - Ballast Point
4. Ruination - Stone
5. Dream Catcher - Rock Bottom, AZ locations

No comments: