Friday, August 1, 2008

The Session 18 - Happy Anniversary


Hi All,

First off I would like to say thanks to the Barley Blog for hosting this month session. This month the topic is Happy Anniversary. I had a tough time with this because I don't have any special beers that I can open right now. I need them for certain occasions. So I am going to tell my Grand Cru (sorry I don't remember the name. My harddrive crashed and I lost some of my tasting notes) story instead. This was a special beer that I accidentally drank about a month ago.

It all started with a long day at work. I came home and I wanted a beer but I wanted something different then my normal every day beer but i didn't want to drink a bomber. So I see this nice 12oz bottle with a nice red foil wrapping (that should have gave it away that this wasn't a normal beer) and I grab it. I usually like to try my beers before I read the label so that I can taste the beer with out knowing the style. I feel this helps me learn about the beer and I try to guess what I am drinking. Well I opened the foil, popped the cap, and poored it into a pint glass. First I looked at the beer and it was a golden orange with a nice head. Then I took a sniff and a strong alcohol scent hit my nostrils. I just figured the beer was fermented at to high a temperature and that there were going to be alot of fussil alcohol. So I went into the living room sat on the couch and took a drink. It tasted nothing like it smelled and it went down smooth with a slight taste of hot alcohol. It was really good. It had a perfect balance of malt, hops, and warmth. So i sit there for about 15 minutes drinking and trying to decide what it was cause it wasn't a style I was familiar with. Durring this time I also start feeling a little warm inside and was starting to get a slight buzz from a half bottle of beer. So I get up and go get the bottle. It was a grand cru with 18+% ABV. I started to smile and thought about the foil wrapper. That was a good bottle of beer and I wouldn't have had it as an afterwork beer. That was a sipping beer that I probably would have split with someone. Who knows maybe at an anniversary somewhere!!

I hope you all enjoyed my slightly off topic story and thanks again to the Barley Blog for hosting. See you all next month for the session!!

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.

No comments: